Thursday, October 17, 2013

Shutdown killed the crop report

For the first month since 1866, the USDA crop report will not be issued. I know, I know, you're thinking... who cares about this anyway? I have a strong memory from college of looking through a list of majors and thinking, "'Agricultural Economics?' I have no idea what I want to do as a career, but the one thing I can tell you for sure is that it's not THAT! Could anything possibly be more dull?" I admit, it doesn't sound as sexy as "sustainability" or "six-figure salary upon graduation" but about 20% of our country's land and 1/3 of the water used in the US is used in agriculture, so if you want to know a) how to help the environment, or b) the origin of a lot of big business, look no farther. That's why the government is involved, and it's a real shame when that important work doesn't get done.